Monday, June 1, 2015

Kid's Grooming...Makeup & Hair for Children

Photo source: uwmower.org

Kid's grooming is great and requires very little to almost no makeup. However, if you ever had any nephews, nieces or children of your own-you know that their hands always seem to get dirty and even the most clean of children can get messy.

Skin Prep:

Just as adults, skin prep is of essence when doing children's grooming. This is how I do it:

* Start off by using baby wipes to clean their face, nostrils, hands, feet and knees. I then take a soft tissue and remove eye gunk and crust, go over nostrils a second time. 

* Inspect hands and remove nail polish if girls have painted nails, making sure to clean under neath nails and try my best to remove all traces of marker or pen marks with nail polish remover. 

* Apply Johnson's Baby Lotion over arms, legs and feet as well as hands. The sunscreen option is great if you want a shiny dewy finish on skin. My pick for this is Coppertone Oil Free Lightweight and Fast Absorbing sunscreen for kids. (It's great because it won't clog pores and is dermatologist recommended.)

* Go back to the face and apply either baby lotion or kid's sunscreen on the face- if I'm aiming for a healthy glow. 

* Apply Homeoplasmine with a Q-tip or lip brush on lips since it doesn't have any shine. 

Makeup:

Kids usually have fabulous skin and virtually invisible pores, so makeup application is simple and I only use minimal product on their face. 

*Use foundation such as Armani "Luminous Silk Foundation" as a concealer under eyes and around the nostrils. (MAC Face & Body is a good option too.)

* Sometimes children have scrapes and scratches that have become scabs. To cover these, I use either Armani Maestro Concealer (it's a liquid concealer) or Tarte Creaseless Concealer and apply with a lip brush or a small pencil brush over the scab.

* Most of the kids have a natural rosy flush of color on their cheeks. If they are lacking in color I use Kevyn Aucoin cream blush in Isadore or their duo cream blushes  and choose according to light or darker skin tones. I apply with my hands or with an airbrush foundation brush on apples of cheeks. 

* If a sun kissed look is required- use a large fluffy brush to add a bit of warmth on forehead, cheeks nose and chin such as Marc Jacobs bronzer in Tantric #102. 

* Pass a brow brush through their brows 

Hair: 

Usually on most shoots involving kids, the ideal hair requested is their locks in their natural state. I very rarely do much. 

Boys:

* I run a brush or my fingers through their hair. 

* If it needs to be more piece-y then I warm up a bit of hair paste such as Kevin Murphy "Night Rider."  

* If they are sweaty, (from running around and playing while waiting to be on set),  then I blast cool air on  their hair with my  T3 Micro blow dryer. Seriously, I don't know what it is but the young boy models always have amazing hair and cuts. 

Girls:

I try and keep their hair the same as well, the goal is to keep their hair looking natural and not too "done." Sometimes I don't even brush their hair. 

*Just have them flip their hair over their face and I spray Bumble and Bumble Dry Spun finish soft texturizing spray. It gives that messy beach hair minus the crunch. 

* When their hair is a little on the oily side I spray the roots with dry hair shampoo. The one I carry in my kit is Oscar Blandi in spray form. 

* Some girls hair is curlier on the hair that falls on the nape of the neck so I take a large curling iron and pass it through that area, it tames down the curls but still leaves some texture and body. I then, take a wand and whirl a few pieces of hair on the top of hair with it to give waves, always keeping them looking natural and kind of beachy/messy. 

* For little girls with afros I either take a small curler and add a few spring curls on top or leave as is and simply spray Oscar Blandi Shine Spray and massage it in to add hydration and shine. 

When I am booked to do children's grooming, I make sure to bring hair ties, hair bands, and bobbi pins in bright, fun colors. It looks good on your behalf and those small touches can add the finishing touch to a cute ponytail or bun if that is asked from you to do on set. 

Most importantly, I find that treating the children like little adults and engaging with them in conversation is the best way to interact with them on set, especially while getting them prepped. They will surprise you with their thoughts and ideas, kid's say the most spontaneous things and are far more intelligent than we sometimes give them credit for. 

***Photo source:: uwmower.org***

No comments:

Post a Comment