Monday, November 13, 2017

A Journal of my Work So I Remember When I Get Old


 (Polaroid photo of makeup I did for a Drag Party on one of my forever muses)

When I was younger I kept a diary, a journal and always wrote about my daily occurrences; what was important to me at that point of my life, what I didn't dare voice to any other being, not even my mom. Like when I got my feelings hurt by someone, or my fears. As I got older, I started writing about things I wanted to do in the future, goals, setting smaller goals to achieve bigger goals. I have kept this type of tradition with myself but now I don't always write in a diary and although I always try to use a pen and paper, I more often than not find myself typing in stuff on my notes.

I just wanted to take some time and although I have said this numerous times before, really start taking the time to blog again. Blogging, like the writing part of it has died down and people tend to do more of the vlogging, or curated IG posts, Pinterest boards, the new wave of things. Not sure that anyone even reads this but I want to do this for the maybe one or two readers I might have but most importantly for myself.

The past two years have been incredible for me in regards to growth both on a personal level and in my career too. I initially wanted to be a fashion makeup artist but I soon realized that the universe was pulling me more towards television and commercials. The best thing to do for me, is to go with the flow of things. So that is what I have done and although I don't spend as much time working on my book, I do get the chance to do an editorial or beauty story here and there. I had set out the goal for this year to work on my book and I have done more shoots than I have in the past couple of years prior but need to do more.

In the weeks to come I will be doing recaps of special moments of 2016 and 2017. The most incredible ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

* Working with my favorite band ever Tegan and Sara for their White Knuckles music video
(This is like a Bey fan doing makeup on Beyonce...just wanted to clarify how big this was to me)
* Traveling for the past two and half years to Europe for show seasons and meeting incredible people
* Assisting artists I admire and respect backstage in Milan & Paris
* Doing shoots in Milan & Paris and obtaining clients overseas
* Was able to work on a Major film out in 2018
* Grew my artist client base

All of these things are great and although I am vague with the things I have been doing this year, I am most thankful for being able to go back home to California and see my mom and babies (dogs Coco and Amber) and also attend my younger brother's wedding in the Central Coast with someone he loves.

As freelancers, we are constantly on the hunt for what's next, the following project, the upcoming goal to reach and so forth... that we really forget to take the time to take care of ourselves, those we love and what really matters in life. Yes, yes, we all want to live, breathe, sleep, eat fashion, makeup etc, but at the end of the day, at the end of our life, what will be remembered is who we were, how we treated others, basically our soul, our legacy.

My all time icon was and will always be the late Kevyn Aucoin, and although he was far ahead of his time and setting trends for decades to come, we have to also thank him for putting makeup artists at the forefront of the media and recognizing artists as an integral part of the celebrity package and taking artists from the backstage to the fore front. However, whenever anyone talks about Kevyn, the talent he possessed is inarguably what he was known for the most but equally as important was his character. Anyone ever asked about how it was to work with Kevyn always talks about how he was pure love, a joy to be around and everyone adored him as an individual. Beyond his artistry and legacy as a master face painter he was beloved and made everyone he blessed with his touch feel great, from the inside out.

This has been a challenge for me since I have a very serious character and way of being. I am not bubbly nor extremely loving when I speak or interact with people but through my respect and sincere care for others I have managed to maintain wonderful work relationships with clients and photographers as well as other colleagues that continuously refer me to potential clients or have me cover for them on their regular clients. That trust is gold to me. Thank you everyone. Thank you for walking on this journey with me and for taking me along as well. I want to thank myself for not changing who I am and knowing that although I am introverted and I struggle to be comfortable in over the top environments, I am making it work all while being myself, always.

This week I will attend a documentary screening of Kevyn Aucoin here in NYC. I was personally invited by the KA Beauty team and I am very excited and emotional about attending this event. I will keep you updated on the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment