Having acne on your face or post acne scars can be a difficult thing to deal with and may make you feel insecure. No need to worry, with a bit of makeup, you can conceal those marks and enhance your skin.
I am very big on skin care. I recommend finding a good skin care routine within your means to suit your skin type. Having a few blemishes does not necessarily place you in the acne skin type category. Know your skin and with that in mind find a routine that includes: a wash, toner, treatment and moisturizer to treat your condition. Make sure to follow it religiously and that will definitely aid improving your skin.
Not all acne cases are the same and can occur to people at any age. Some acne cases may be more severe and other pimples may just be scattered throughout your face sparingly. Scars too, are not all the same, some may be darker some may be lighter. Therefore, the coverage needed for them is not the same. To ensure adequate coverage and to conceal properly, layering your makeup is best to do rather than to slather on a thick layer of cream foundation that can end up looking "cakey."
Below are a few steps on applying makeup for acne skin with scarring:
1) Wash face and apply a moisturizer such as Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion
2) Apply a foundation primer. My pic for any acne prone skin is Cover FX Clearprep Matte Foundation Primer & Anti-Acne Treatment. It is has a long name but lives up to it! Apply a small amount, a little goes a long way. This will provide a smooth base and fill in any dents in the skin.
3) Spot apply a concealer such as Cover FX Camouflage Concealer. It is lightweight, waterproof and conceals just about anything. It's my favorite tatoo cover up so you bet it will cover any blemish or post acne scar. Dab a small amount onto the problem areas with a flat concealer brush and pat, pat, pat. Then blend with fingers or a wet sponge. You can go for round two if you feel it is necessary.
4) Start applying a foundation with a damp, disposable sponge. I prefer to use Natural FX Water Based Foundation SPF 15. This liquid foundation can be built up to a medium coverage and is oil free. It leaves the skin looking flawless. Apply foundation, dab and blend from center of your face outward. Apply a second coat if needed, or for a fuller coverage opt for Cover FX Total Coverage Cream Foundation instead of the Natural FX.
5) Blot face with Boscia Blotting Linens to absorb excess makeup.
6) Dust face with Lorac POREfection baked powder. This powder is amazing because it is free from parabens and fragrance. It is infused with Salicylic Acid which is great when attempting to combat acne. If you have a darker skin tone, then a great choice is Matte FX Oil Absorbing Powder in dark.
7) Optional-spray face with Evian Mineral Water Spray and blot face with a tissue.
It is also important to keep in mind that makeup is going to help improve the appearance of your skin. If you are a bit embarrassed about your skin, a good idea is to have another focal point on you face such as bold lips or great eye makeup to draw attention from skin.
A few more tips for acne prone skin, escpecially those with acne scars:
* When blending concealer opt to use a damp disposable sponges. When damp, sponges blend easily and secondly, you can toss right after finishing and you don't have to worry about spreading bacteria on your face the next time you use.
*Clean brushes with a spray after every use.
* Avoid shimmery eye shadows, opt for matte shades instead.
* Hold off on the highlighter on cheeks, nose, forehead and chin. The last thing you want to do is give the illusion of shine on your skin.
* Shy away from shimmer blushes and opt for a matte bronzer or a matte blush.
* Curl your lashes and apply two coats of mascara. This makes your eyes pop, shadow or sans shadow.
* Opt for a bold lip such as a berry or any color of your choice.
* When touching up, try to blot with a linen and then simply dust an oil absorbing powder, the less powder the better.
We all get blemishes and pimples for different reasons and they tend to surprise us when we least need them to. However, know that beauty is much more than our face and figures. Beauty truely comes from within and no matter what your skin condition may be, never get depressed over your skin. Play up your eyes and pout and walk with confidence!
*Photo copyright of Jelena Balic & Maria Ortega Makeup