Monday, March 18, 2013

MUA Vintage Dinner in Brooklyn


Although this blog is dedicated to makeup related topics, I could not resist blogging about a vintage dinner I hosted for my MUA friends and me.
 

 
 I am obsessed with anything vintage and honestly feel that I should have been born during the Motown or Rockabilly era. I love the innocence of that time period, the music, the life style and of course the fashion along with makeup and hair. Being from California, I grew up with the vintage influence. My younger brother Danny is a rockabilly at heart and rocks the pompadour. Growing up as kids, we listened to Motown music, oldies, and Rockabilly tunes. I think that California is a state that truly appreciates that time period and plays homage to it by keeping the style vivid and alive.

 
There is just something so timeless about that era’s makeup style. Clean and simple skin with a pop of color on the cheeks, defined brows, mascara and of course who could skip out on that wing tip liner! I am a huge fan of bold lipstick colors and red is one of my signature lip color choices. During that era, bold, matte, red lips were a perfect evening color option but also suitable during the daytime, for the daring woman. Many women opted to wear pinks and peach lips for daytime makeup. Eye shadow was usually kept to a simple minimum, primarily using matte, neutrals with a soft definition in the crease and outer edge.
 

The dinner took place at a vintage diner in downtown Brooklyn. Some of the girls showed up in pinup, others in a more vintage style and a few opted to wear modern clothes with a vintage feel. All of my friends looked gorgeous!
 





 
 
 
 I was very happy to see the different vintage inspired hairstyles my friends did. One did victory rolls, others had rolled bangs, pompadours, waves, and curls. I was very afraid to do my own hair. I am okay at styling hair on set, on models or on clients but not so great on myself. Since I already have bangs, I went with a classic curled bang and retro waves/curls a-la Bettie Paige hair style. For this dinner I wore a Bettie Paige brand black pencil-skirt type sleeveless dress with bows on the straps and vintage peep toe heels.


I went with a classic vintage makeup look.

Skin: Kevyn Aucoin airbrush liquid foundation

Blush: -Kevyn Aucoin “Isadore” cream blush topped with
      -Kevyn Aucoin powder blush (I mixed a matte baby pink and matte peach)   topped with
     -Kevyn Aucoin “Candle Light” powder highlighter.     

 Eyes: Mehron Celebre neutral matte shadow palette
          -Kevyn Aucoin white pencil eye liner for waterline
       -Motives gel liner for wing tip
        -Maybelline Falsies mascara

Lips: NYX 817 Hot Red lip liner all over lips
          -MAC “Ruby Woo” matte lipstick
         -Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics lip tar in “NSFW”

I love my friends and I am glad we got to have a vintage dinner together! xo
 
*Photos Copyright: Eduardo Acevedo

No comments:

Post a Comment