Monday, March 11, 2013

Professionalism Pays Off

*

No matter how much I try not to, I constantly forget names but I always remember a face and how the person treated me. Professionalism in this industry is of extreme importance. Sometimes people will forget our names but our attitude and behavior on set will leave a lasting impression on those we worked with for the day.  How we carry and conduct ourselves on set can lead to others recommending us for other job opportunities in our respective fields.

Being punctual and respectful towards others is essential and of vital importance but are only a couple of the key factors in being a pleasant person to work with. How we receive constructive criticism on set and the way we react to having to make adjustments can be a determining factor in wether others decide to work with us again in the future or not. If we adopt a defensive or dogmatic attitude then it may push others away from us.

When on set, I always try to make the experience a pleasant one for those working with me. It is always important to know that although you can have fun on set and joke around, there is a time and place for everything. For example, if on a collaborative or test shoot, then most definitely a more bubbly personality and fun atmosphere is acceptable. However, if on set with a client or on a big production, time is money and every minute counts. If we lack professionalism and proper set etiquette, it can make us seem amateur. This doesn’t mean we cannot be ourselves or have fun.  There is a difference between making the models feel comfortable by chatting with them or the crew on set and being over the top loud and booty popping and dropping it like it’s hot on set. It is just a matter of balance. 

 

Last year, I was referred to a job by a fellow artist (to cover for them)  and was placed in contact with the production manager and went over details regarding the shoot the next day. That same evening, the artist who initially referred me, had a cancellation, and their schedule was opened once again. I was no longer needed to replace them. I was a little bummed because I had cancelled another paying job. Fast forward a few months later, I got booked for a pretty big job and when I went into the office to sign the paper work, the casting director and production manager told me that someone had referred me and mentioned the name. It was the production manager I never got the chance to work with. I called him after I left the building to thank him. He gave me extremely valuable information and tips. He also told me that he referred me because he remembered how professional I was over the phone and that even without meeting him in person or working with him, he knew I was the perfect candidate.

This is proof that they way we conduct ourselves can impact the referral of our services to other industry professionals. I am so thankful to all of the photographers, designers, and other fellow artists that constantly refer me for jobs. It makes me feel beyond happy and I appreciate all the love bestowed upon me. Professionalism on set pays off.

 *Image courtesy of Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment